This was the first week of receiving home organic veggies from Eating Well Ottawa. I put those veggies to good use and made a bunch of delicious meals this weekend. I love cooking, but I hate grocery shopping. Let’s be honest, I hate all shopping. I’m the queen of the click and buy. In the past I’ve had organic veggies and fruit delivered right to my doorstep but I found I wasn’t getting quality produce. Last Thursday I received my first box from Eating Well Ottawa. If you follow the Facebook page you will know that I was super pleased and excited with the contents. I’ve got myself all set up, hormone free, grass-fed, free-range meats delivered by Bearbrook Game Meats and produce from Eating Well Ottawa. What more could a gal ask for?
So get to recipe development, I did….
I had some leeks that needed to get used up and fresh broccoli, so I whipped up a batch of broccoli and leek soup. This soup is reminiscent of a Thai dish.
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 broccoli head, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 L bone broth (I used chicken)
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat melt the coconut oil.
- Add leeks and garlic. Cook until tender.
- Add broccoli, broth, coconut milk, thyme, onion powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for 20 min or until broccoli is soft.
- Using an immersion hand blender or blender process the soup until smooth.
- Top with bacon and fresh chives.
- Serve and slurp up!