This past weekend I participated in my first 5 km race. Here is a glimpse into my chaotic mind.
The night before race
- How about a yin yoga practice? AHG, I can’t concentrate.
- Oh I just dropped my brush on my toe. Why didn’t it break my toe? I could have had an excuse to not race.
- I better set 3 alarms, just in case. Ha, like I will be sleeping.
- What’s the weather again, crap, cold and overcast. Time to change the clothes I laid out two days ago.
The morning of the race
- Shhhhh, I’m sleeping I don’t wanna get up. Wait, I slept?!?!?
- Let’s check the weather again, double crap, 92% humidity. I haven’t run in humidity like that before. I’m fur sure gonna pass over.
- There is a gremlin on my chest, I can’t breathe. Oh and I’m only just walking the pup.
On the drive there
- Why did I pick a race 1 hour away? I may poop in the car.
- I’m so glad I was a fish yesterday and drank so much, the thought of drinking now, ugh.
- Ok, I have to eat. Just try and get half this shake down. Big gulps.
1 hour before the race
- They didn’t give me pins for my bib! Is that an omen of things to come?
- Where is the start line?
- What the finish is up hill!?!?!?!?
- Where are the bathrooms? You mean I have to walk all the way over there????
30 min before race
- Ok, I’m hot. I need to change.
- Ugh, I’m cold. Is this early on-set menopause?
- Figured out the start line. Rocket science, it’s the same as the finish. Hence the out and back race.
- Triathlon guy, do you want me to help you with your yoga poses?
- Oh, Hi! Say, what, you want to follow me. Well that may not be a great idea, I will be the one at the back of the pack.
Minutes before start
- Get to the back.
- Shake it out.
First minute of race
- Oh crap, I’m going too fast. Slow it down, don’t get caught up in the group ahead. They are pros: duathalon, 10kr’s just go at your own pace.
- Left, right, left then straight ahead. That’s what the guy said right? Dummy, just follow the fluorescent cones.
- This lady is really staying with me. Am I holding her back?
- Ok, warrior mode, let’s get this done. I can totally do this. Music change and both ear buds in!
1.5 Km left
- Sorry, but not sorry, I just passed someone.
- Wait, I can do this! And not be last!
- You’ve got lots left in the tank pick up the pace.
- Oops, passed another person.
I can see the finish line
- Look at me, I’m a cheetah. I’m going so fast.
- Sorry running partner, I’m killing this last bit.
- The announcer called my name how nice.
- Uphill finish, I demolish you.
Two seconds after finish
- “We need your chip”. Yep, you can just reach down and get that for me kind lady.
- I won! Hahahah they give everyone the metals. Wait 31.13min, that’s my best time yet. Guess that isn’t really saying much since I only ran 5km once before and really under trained.
- I can’t breathe right now. But for real.
- Where is my water?
Two minutes after race
- Where is that lady? I need to go say thanks for running with me. Even though I left her in my dust at the end.
- Wait, I forgot my free banana. Free Food!
- Ok, let’s walk this out.
- Oh am I talking too much?
On the drive home
- I’m cold and hungry. Can we stop for bacon?
And stop we did. Post-race meal: burger with bacon and an egg hat!
Who would have thought that I’d like this running thing? Just 4 short months ago I would have said “The only reason to run is if someone is chasing you”. Always step out of your comfort zone. Embrace transformation!